Featured Video

Thursday 3 November 2011

Woody: Jeremy Mayfield Patient Heart Break


Despite the onslaught of evidence over the past few years I continued to keep the hope that the drug charges against Jeremy Mayfield did not correspond to reality.

I thought I might be a mistake has been made in the laboratory, or that people who claim to know about
Mayfield alleged problems either mistaken or do so because of one kind or another personal motive.

I never felt that NASCAR will start unreasonable vendetta against the driver but at the same time, I could not believe that Jeremy Mayfield I knew, or thought I knew – maybe messing with drugs.

It seems I was wrong.

According to reliable reports, Mayfield was arrested Tuesday evening at his home in North Carolina on charges of possession of methamphetamine. Reports said that police executed a search warrant based on a tip regarding stolen goods when he was discovered by meth.

Mayfield in the past, was charged with using methamphetamine, NASCAR, resulting in his suspension from the sport. He maintained his innocence, despite all evidence to the contrary and promised to fight the charges.

Now that the fight is probably more. It's time for Mayfield to admit he has a problem and seek help.

I've known more than 20 years, Mayfield since he moved to Nashville from Owensboro, KY. He following in the footsteps of his hometown hero, Darrell Waltrip, who a few decades ago moved from Owensboro to Nashville to pursue a career at Fairgrounds Speedway.

I was impressed by Jeremy from the first time I met him. He was an outgoing personality and tremendous talent on the track. He also had a strong work ethic. His first job sweeping floors and does the job in Sadler Racing in exchange for getting a shot at driving arch.

When Cale Yarborough hired him to drive his car Cup, Mayfield's career took off. He went to drive some of the best teams have done well, and is on track to join the NASCAR elite.

Then out of nowhere, came the drug charges.

I don't believe them. I knew how hard he worked and how much he gave Mayfield to build his career. I couldn't believe he'd throw it all away. Unfortunately, however, that seems to be the case.

One summer I visited Owensboro write Mayfield function. I spent part of the day, visiting with Jeremy's mother ran a local hardware store. I toured the racetrack, where he began racing as a teenager. I went to his old school. Everyone I've talked about what a good, healthy baby, Mayfield pointed out was when he was growing up.

They all saw the same Jeremy, what I saw – bright and personable, quick to laugh and smile, a talented and strong on the track.

In spite of all the revelations I still believe what Jeremy is. But unfortunately there is another side that we did not find.

I hope you can conquer his terrible Mayfield demons and get your life back. His career ended, but much is at stake than to lose a good racer. I don't want to lose a good person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment